Thank you for your interest in a SPARC membership. Please fill in the form below, and a staff member will contact you shortly. Read below for more information on benefits of membership and membership options.
Libraries join SPARC to be at the center of the global movement to create a more open system of sharing knowledge. As a catalyst for action, SPARC focuses on taking collaborative action to advance policies and practices that increase access and use of research outputs and educational materials.
Benefits of SPARC Membership
SPARC members are our organization’s heart and soul, setting the agenda and driving our vibrant programs forward. Participation in SPARC is a proven, effective way for members to leverage library resources to the fullest to achieve their missions as academic and research libraries.
SPARC membership will allow you to:
- Stay up-to-date: SPARC’s monthly member communications and special reports keep you informed on new developments in Open Access, Open Educational Resources, and Open Data.
- Gain expert insight: Member webinars, conference calls, and position papers deliver expert perspective from specialists on critical topics.
- Accelerate change: SPARC national, state, and international advocacy programs drive new and expanded Open policies and practices.
- Build your Open programs: Campus resources (including brochures, posters, and best practice guides) save staff time and help expand your local programs.
- Engage your campus: SPARC brings experts on key issues to speak to your campus community and participate in local events.
- Broaden your perspective: Discounts to SPARC-hosted events allow your staff to participate in the global Open community.
- Show your commitment: SPARC offers a member badge that member libraries and organizations can add to your websites to inform visitors about your institution’s work to advance Open.
Become a member of SPARC today to add your—and your library’s—voice to the growing call for a more open system of sharing knowledge.
"For librarians who want to initiate positive change in the scholarly communications system, SPARC is the source of colleagues, support, information, and inspiration. I see membership in SPARC as an investment in the future of higher education." - Diane Graves, Former University Librarian, Trinity University
Options for SPARC Membership
SPARC membership is open to North American and international academic and research institutions that share an interest in creating a more open and diverse environment for scholarly communication. We do not offer individual memberships at this time.
To join now, please complete the SPARC membership form above or contact Val Hollister directly at [email protected]
Annual membership runs for a calendar year and is available in the following categories. All rates are effective as of June 30, 2022.
In addition to the other member benefits, voting members participate in the governance of SPARC, including eligibility to serve on the SPARC Steering Committee and provide direct input on SPARC’s strategic direction.
Full Member Dues (in USD):
- ARL institutions (United States): $7765 per year
- ARL institutions (Canada): $7350 per year
- Non-ARL institutions (United States): $6985 per year
- Non-ARL institutions (Canada): $6650 per year
- Two-year institutions (single campus): $785 per year
- Supporting Member:
Dues: Calculated at 0.22% of library’s total annual library materials expenditure. Dues minimum is $1395 per year, maximum is $6984 (United States) / $6649 (Canada) per year.
- International Supporting Member:
Open to all non-North American academic institutions and independent research libraries. Institutions in Africa, the U.K. and Europe, or Japan should contact the appropriate SPARC regional affiliate. Dues: $1395 per year
- Affiliate Member:
Open to academic and professional associations, institutions, and societies with memberships comprising libraries, educational institutions, or scholars and researchers. (Affiliate status is subject to approval by the SPARC Steering Committee based upon a determination of the organization’s compatibility with the interests, values, and goals of SPARC.) Dues: $6985 per year