Thank you for your interest in a SPARC membership. Please fill in the form below, and a staff member will contact you shortly. Please note at this time SPARC memberships are designed primarily for academic libraries at an organizational level and that we do not offer membership to individuals. Read below for more information on benefits of membership and membership options.
Libraries join SPARC to be at the center of the global movement to create a more open system of sharing knowledge. As a catalyst for action, SPARC focuses on taking collaborative action to advance policies and practices that increase access and use of research outputs and educational materials.
Benefits of SPARC Membership
SPARC members are our organization’s heart and soul, setting the agenda and driving our vibrant programs forward. Participation in SPARC is a proven, effective way for members to leverage library resources to the fullest to achieve their missions as academic and research libraries.
SPARC membership will allow you to:
- Stay up-to-date: SPARC’s monthly member communications and special reports keep you informed on new developments in Open Access, Open Education, and Open Data.
- Gain expert insight: Member webinars, conference calls, and position papers deliver expert perspective from specialists on critical topics.
- Accelerate change: SPARC national, state, and international advocacy programs drive new and expanded Open policies and practices.
- Build your Open programs: Campus resources (including brochures, posters, and best practice guides) save staff time and help expand your local programs.
- Engage your campus: SPARC brings experts on key issues to speak to your campus community and participate in local events.
- Broaden your perspective: Discounts to SPARC-hosted events allow your staff to participate in the global Open community.
- Show your commitment: SPARC offers a member badge that member libraries and organizations can add to your websites to inform visitors about your institution’s work to advance Open.
Become a member of SPARC today to add your—and your library’s—voice to the growing call for a more open system of sharing knowledge.
"For librarians who want to initiate positive change in the scholarly communications system, SPARC is the source of colleagues, support, information, and inspiration. I see membership in SPARC as an investment in the future of higher education." - Diane Graves, Former University Librarian, Trinity University
Options for SPARC Membership
SPARC membership is open to North American and international academic and research institutions that share an interest in creating a more open and diverse environment for scholarly communication. We do not offer individual memberships at this time.
Annual membership runs for a calendar year and is available in the following categories. All rates are effective as of June 2023.
Full Voting Membership Dues:
In addition to the other member benefits, voting members participate in the governance of SPARC, including eligibility to serve on the SPARC Steering Committee and provide direct input on SPARC’s strategic direction.
- US-based institutions: $7950 USD per year
- Canadian-based institutions: $7525 USD per year
- Two-year institutions (single campus): $785 USD per year
- International Supporting Member: $1425 USD per year
Open to all non-North American academic institutions and independent research libraries. Institutions in Africa, the U.K. and Europe, or Japan should contact the appropriate SPARC regional affiliate.
Non-Voting Membership Dues:
- Affiliate Member: Dues: $7950 USD per year
Open to academic and professional associations, institutions, and societies with memberships comprising libraries, educational institutions, or scholars and researchers. (Affiliate status is subject to approval by the SPARC Steering Committee based upon a determination of the organization’s compatibility with the interests, values, and goals of SPARC.)
Please note that if a prospective member is interested in becoming a member and has specific budgetary constraints, please contact Val Hollister <[email protected]> and we will do our best to develop a discounted membership option.