SPARC Europe serves the European Open Science / Scholarship community.
SPARC Europe promotes and works for Open Science / Scholarship in Europe. This includes Open Access to Publications, Open Peer Review, Open Data, Open Educational Resources, as well as Research Evaluation, and Research Integrity.
The value proposition
SPARC Europe has a track record in driving Open Access forward by influencing Open policies in Europe and working with European institutions such as the European Commission, Europe’s research institutions and universities, and organisations with allied Open agendas. SPARC Europe consistently initiates, facilitates, and supports the implementation of the long-term objective of opening access to European research for all.
The SPARC Europe vision
Driving to make more research accessible to all, and striving to make Open the default in Europe: For the academic community, education, industry, and for society.
The SPARC Europe mission
Our mission is to provide leadership to Europe’s research community to enable the conditions, opportunities and rights for more access to Europe’s research for all.
Our 4 goals are:
- To support pan-European and national Open Scholarship agendas in the areas of Open Access to publications, Open Peer Review, Open Data, and Open Educational Resources, as well as research evaluation, and research integrity.
- To provide leadership across Europe for Open Scholarship in the longer term leveraging strong contacts with policy makers and Europe’s research institutions across Europe.
- To reinforce Open Scholarship work across Europe for a more unified approach through increased collaboration with organisations, projects, and initiatives such as the European Open Science Policy Platform, EARMA, LIBER, EIFL, EuroCRIS, Science Europe, EUA, Knowledge Exchange and others by
- seeking synergies, and
- acting as a connector, facilitator and broker to Open Scholarship organisations to create change.
- To encourage new norms and practice for cultural change in academia in the area of scholarly communication – making Open the default.
SPARC Europe focuses its activities on influencing policy and policy development in Europe. Advocacy and information-gathering activities serve to accomplish more Openness to European research via:
- Policy development
- Influencing European, national and local levels for more Open Scholarship in Europe, with a priority on Europe and National levels
- Advocacy, guidance, and tool and service development also in support of the implementation and monitoring of Open policies.
- European information-gathering and dissemination including sharing good practice and European experience.